Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Onibaba (1964)

If ever a film knew how to film grass, this is it. Two things will remain etched in your brain after watching Onibaba: the setting and the music. But it's also a hot steamy sensual story, powerful in its simplicity. In fact, it's so sensual that even Mother Nature has a vagina.Mother and Daughter strip dead or dying samurai of their armor to survive in a cruel world.Not many people live in this crazy environment. So it doesn't take much more than a scuzzy man to seduce the young girl.That brings on the jealousy and wrath of the mother.There's some horror thrown into the mix.Ironically, it's the mother who assumes a face that will stick.

4 comments:

Wagstaff said...

An erotic and frightening film.

Shelby Button said...

I saw Onibaba and yes it is pretty good.

The grass is beautiful, but it hides the ugliness of Onibaba. She is the loony nature woman, destructive and chaotic. Most of the terror happens at night under the moon.

To be fair, it is not only for the women that a full moon at night will have this effect. I myself feel the rumblings of the nature-man inside of me at certain times late at night.

odienator said...

Charlie Parsley: I myself feel the rumblings of the nature-man inside of me at certain times late at night.

This comment has been rated R by the Odie Innuendo Ratings Board.

Onibaba freaked me the hell out.

Jeffrey Hill said...

So it's unanimous: Onibaba is a freaky movie. Because of this film, I never wear my samurai armour into tall grass. The supermarket, maybe.