Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Did the Bush administration settle for appeasement of North Korea?
Or, 1994 Redux



BEIJING - U.S. negotiators presented the first detailed U.S. proposal Wednesday on resolving the standoff with North Korea, offering energy aid and a security guarantee in exchange for Pyongyang’s agreement to dismantle its nuclear weapons program.....

"Our credibility has more to do with resolve than it does with empty platitudes of peace and goodwill." - Jeffrey Hill, 12/3/03

Question: Are the only choices appeasement to nuclear blackmail or stalemate? Would China sit by while American troops occupy land right next to their border? Would a full-fledged invasion be necessary? Given enough time, would the North Korean government collapse the way the Soviet Union did?

1 comment:

Jeffrey Hill said...

"Our credibility has more to do with resolve than it does with empty platitudes of peace and goodwill." Who is that brilliant person? Oh, wait....that's me! I'm touched, Dude.

I'll admit that my initial reaction to this offer is that I don't like it. Even if we manage to iron out a foolproof verification program, it still helps sustain Il as a dictator. And I'm not crazy about offering him a non aggression pact.

I'll be watching how this develops. The last time I thought Bush made a concession/mistake (putting Brahimi in charge of establishing the interim government) it turned out to be a pretty clever and shrewd diplomatic move of Lincoln-esque calibre.