Thursday, June 17, 2004

Found this link (bottom of post) reading a discussion on the differences in Empiricism (i.e. right wing) vs Postmodernism (i.e. left wing) (all terms used there as sweeping generalizations for economy's sake) as applied to dogmatic thinking in political/economic discussions. That thread is still going... mostly seems to be a case of each side offers valid qualifications to their arguments, but it still seems to boil down to an "I'm right you're wrong" discussion from both sides.

The interesting thing about the below link is that they make the argument that Left vs Right is a flawed representation of political ideology. Given that the nature of most issues consist of multiple factors - generally attributed to social/political/economic/religious areas of influence, they propose using an X-Y axis. While still very general, it does make for a more accurate snapshot of one's ideology, I'm thinking.

Given the self-declared slants of involved parties in this little forum, I thought it would be fun to see where we all measure up when questioned by an objective observer. Are you as conservative/liberal as you think? Take this and see!

The Political Compass

Posting my results in a later entry.

3 comments:

Jeffrey Hill said...

My results: Economic Left/Right was 2.25 and Social Libertarian/Authoritarian was .97. The economic line was mostly on the right and the social scale line was just barely on the authoritarion side. I was in between Schroeder and Martin. I'm always surprized at how many issues I'm ambivalent about or simply have no opinion at all about.

Steve said...

Mine are:
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

WEEEEEHAAAAAA! DOPE! GUNS! FUCKING IN THE STREETS!

Actually - I came out a bit more right than I though I was. Still more left than Ghandhi...that facist.

The Composer's Politcal Compass is pretty funny. I'm more left than Beethoven, but not as flaky as that damned hippie Prokofiev.

Dude said...

Economic Left/Right 0.38, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian - 5.9
More libertarian than Kucinich.